Your guide to Single Subject Acceleration is here:
Please see me for any questions. Thank you.
2/14/18 Hot off the press- If you are interested in Single Subject Acceleration or middle school class placement, please take note of the information on the Wake County webpage: www.wcpss.net.
Additionally, you can find the information on twitter (Wake County AIG@ AIG Wake) and in the flier that will go home in the 2/16 Friday folder. The first information session will be held 2/15!
* Third grade AIG identification results will go home in Friday folders on 2/16.
* Spring Window fourth and fifth grade identification results will be sent home in a few weeks...
Conn's School Based Committee for Gifted Education is currently accepting nominations for AIG service for fourth and fifth graders. Testing will be conducted the third week in January.
Eligible third grade students finished taking the Iowa battery this past week. Results should be sent home in January.
Fall Window testing for fourth and fifth graders was returned to schools on Tuesday, November 7. Results were sent home to parents on this date. Conn's SBC-GE (School Based Committee for Gifted Education) will meet later in the month to review the data and make decisions regarding identification. Final results will be sent home in late December/ early January.
Whole group Explorer/Jr. Explorer classes will begin November 16 for Unit 2. Kindergarten will begin a Critical Thinking Skills unit with a focus on Literature. Math units are planned for grades 1,2 and 3. Due to time constraints with the holiday, one whole class lesson is planned with pull-outs lasting until January.
October 10-12- All of Conn's third graders will participate in the CogAt battery. When the scores are returned in November, I will announce an information session to explain the reports.
October 11: Math Night! Our fourth graders have been putting together a fun way to stretch our estimation muscles!
October 19- Fall Window test turn in day/ Wake County AIG meeting. I will be off campus all day.
A few highlights:
* I have enjoyed visiting our youngest Jr. Explorers in their Kindergarten homerooms this past month. We have been working on comparing and ordering numbers with graphs and number lines.
* First grade Jr. Explorers have had fun analyzing different topics from a fiction and non-fiction perspective. We have researched properties of rocks using non-fiction text and followed it with the classic Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. This past week we switched over to learning about water and are reading from the Magic School Bus Series.
* Second grade Jr. Explorers has been on hiatus while I've been testing a group of fourth and fifth grade AIG candidates. We resume class Wednesday, October 11th with an analysis of The Happy Lion.
* As of October 9th, I will be happy to work with selected third grade Explorers for our first official unit. In keeping with the EL theme, we will be focusing on finding and comparing themes in works of fiction.
Fourth grade ELA students have been learning to identify themes in various works of literature. They have been finding clues about themes from what characters say, how they act, and what others say about them.
Fifth grade ELA students have been working on a "Freedom Fighters" unit. They understand the difference between primary and secondary resources and have analyzed the benefits of both. They will be serving as mock editors for an article that has been written on the topic of the Civil War.
Welcome to School Year 2017-2018! I'm looking forward to another year of working with our AIG CONNtrepreneurs! A few important dates:
Thursday, September 7: Differentiated Education Plan (DEP) meeting for AIG identified fourth and fifth graders and their parents. 8:00 or 12:30 in room 206
Tuesday, September 12: Odyssey of the Mind information meeting for all interested 3rd, 4th and 5th graders at 8:00 AM
Tuesday, September 19: Explorers/Jr. Explorers information session for K-3 parents at 8:00 or 12:30.
September 28: Last day to consider nominations for the Fall Testing Window. Testing for nominated and referred fourth and fifth grade students is October 5/6 and 9/10.
October 10-12: Cog At test for all third graders